Friday, November 20, 2009

A Nigerian hijacking of the electronic kind

A friend of mine received this from the email address of his friend Karen. Needless to say, she wasn't in Nigeria and she didn't send this message. Her email account had been hijacked.

If you get a message like this from someone you know, don't respond electronically or via the means suggested in the email. Instead, contact, the person directly using his/her usual contact info. Never be fooled like messages like this.

From: Karen (last name and email suppressed)
Date: Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 3:57 AM
Subject: HELP NEEDED

How are you doing? I am writing you this message with tears in my eyes because of what I've going through Am in a great sorrow written you this note, I could barely type or think straight right now, I hope you come to my aid. something very terrible is happening to me now, I need a favor from you urgently, I had a trip here in Nigeria for a Seminar. Unfortunately for me I got robbed on my way to the hotel where i lodged along with my Cell phone, bag where my passport was and since then i have been without any money, I am even owing the hotel here. So i have limited access to emails for now, I urgently need your financial assistance. The total sum of money that i would need would be $2,000 to sort-out the bills so i can make arrangements and return back, I'm in a panic now, the police only asked me to write a statement about the incident and directed me to the embassy, I have spoken to the embassy here but they are not responding to the matter effectively, I will return the money back to you as soon as i get home, I am so confused right now. I wasn't hurt because I complied immediately.

So please kindly make some money available for me with the below information via western union money transfer

Name .........Karen (last name suppressed)
address.. 101 island avenue,
city....ikeja
state....lagos
zipcode...23401.
Nigeria

Hope to hear from you soon.

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment